Como: Growly Scaredy Pitter-Pat Cat

Early last week, I packed up Cletus for his distemper booster, and Como, because I wanted our vet to have a look-see and to give me some advice on the whole why-is-this-cat-so-weird? situation. For over a month now, Como has been living in our bedroom. Sure, she leaves our room to make a quick turn into the laundry room for her litter box, and she’ll venture down the hallway now and again. Several times, she’s been spotted in the kitchen, where she knows food preparation takes place.

People who belong to cats can relate; when a cat is hungry, it rubs all over everything associated with food, and mostly, its person. The rubbing is almost like seduction. “I love you, let me rub myself all over your face, so you will remember I am hungry. Look, I’m so cute, rubbing myself on the door frames. Oh my God, can you even tolerate the preciousness that is me rubbing all over your legs while you open those cans? Let me meow to you. I meow only for you, Human.”

This is what I’ve come to understand about my Como cat, but solely from the gut:
English is not her first language — her first language is one I can’t speak, because I’ve tried a few.
Someone once loved her very, very much, probably a man, because she has claimed The Mister as her person. She perches on him every single night, and sleeps at his feet.
She was a solo cat, who probably lived with a dog. She tolerates the kitten, as most female cats will, but she doesn’t like the other cats at all. She’s okay with the dog, always has been.

como2

What the vet assessed from knowledge and experience:
She’s somewhere between the ages of four and ten.
Her teeth indicate a life without crunchy food. He is glad she eats crunchy food now.
She has allergies, which caused cysts of a sort in her ears, which make her ears too sensitive to touch.
She has chin acne. Tee-hee! Did you know cats get acne? I did not.

When I expressed my concerns about why Como doesn’t socialize, why she hides all the time, and how she basically lives in our bedroom, (what am i, nine?) and how I’m not sure, despite my love for her, that she is in the best possible environment, he seemed surprised that I felt this way. The vet assured me that her life is great.

I hadn’t considered the point-of-view he presented to me. She is adopted, rescued, safe, loved, fed, brushed, taken to the vet, snuggled and she has a whole room to herself, as opposed to a cage.

The vet said it’s not uncommon for cats to prefer singular lives, or to hide all day.
He said she may eventually roam the house and socialize, but this may never happen. He said the fact that she eats and uses the box and purrs is all he needs to know. “She’s happy,” he assured me.

como3

I had only looked at it from the point-of-view of my own expectations.

So much of our reaction to life is based solely on our own expectations.

This entry was posted in Personally and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Como: Growly Scaredy Pitter-Pat Cat

1. meandcoffeefairy says:

When my mother-in-law passed away in April, we took her Siamese back home to live with us. She lived in our spare bedroom for around a month, not coming out at all. We have three dogs, and she refused to be any friend of a dog. In end she went to live with step daughter who has only a cat, whom she still took awhile to be friends with. We knew her past, never been around dogs, and was bullied by the one cat in her life before. Everyday, I went into the spare bedroom and my smallest dog would try her best to be a friend, and she loved my visits, and got so she accepted the smallest dog present. Still the better choice was living with another cat, and there she mostly stays in the bedroom, she lost her owner, and you never know what your love means to them, no matter if they roam whole house or not.

• Thank you for chiming in. It’s great that you’ve experienced a similar situation. It makes sense, the feeling, when I read her shelter chart, and it said she’d been found abandoned in the home — which home? Her true home, or the second home, third home? You know? I’m just glad my vet put my fears to rest.

I like that you understand who owns whom. That seems to be a very important understanding between humans and cats. We never quite know where ours are going to turn up. They have the regular hiding and hang-out places but every now and then, they mix it up. I think they just like to mess with our heads. There are times I wish I could hide in a room all day. A bit jealous of Como.

Ain’t that the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

Fondly (LOL),
    Elizabeth

still trying to sort out the cat/dog/dog issues here…we once had 2 dogs and 4 cats, and Diego has so much energy he gets frustrated when we don’t give him attention 24/7. So another dog? Or a cat? we can’t keep the cat indoors since we have dog doors. I miss having more. but then more work, harder to run 2 dogs with the bike, sigh….is there an age when decisions cease?

• I don’t suspect there’s an age when decisions cease, but perhaps a state of mind…Sadie loves her kitten, and he’s the only who plays with her. I can’t handle another dog. If I could handle another dog, I’d surely adopt her a playmate.
      I think the question should be, “Do YOU feel satisfied with one dog?” If not, then yeah, there are decisions looming!

Vet says it’s not uncommon for cats to prefer singular life and hide all day. Hmmmm i might be a weird human but a common cat!

My cats get chin acne too, it’s so weird! Did the vet mention why? So glad he thinks that Como is happy. ❤

• Wow! No, he didn’t say why. He actually said it’s very common. I’d thought it was from fighting with the kitten. He said it will likely come and go. He gave me some steroidal anti-inflammatory cream for her chin acne and her ears. I actually think it makes her ears feel better, but I can’t say she’s ever been sensitive about her chin.

7. Faith Simone says:

“So much of our reaction to life is based solely on our own expectations.” So true! And I love the seductive cat narration, lol.

8. I’ve never heard of kitty chin acne! Both of our cats are pretty social except for during the day, especially now that it’s growing colder. They have a cat cave in the closet that I made for them. It’s pretty fancy—a plastic storage tub with an old, raggedy towel on top. Haven’t seen them for several hours, but I can hear them snoring away.

9. suzjones says:

You looked at it not only from your expectations but from your previous experiences and perspectives. Having another perspective sometimes opens our minds.
    My cat is not a loving cat (unless she wants something) and spends most of her days sleeping. She will sometimes come out and socialise but if there is somewhere comfortable to sleep then that is where you will find her. I’d say that Como loves sleeping in your room. 😉

10. There is a subtle relationship of human beings with animals, and particularly so with the dogs and cats…so much they become a part of our life, we find no difference between them and others members staying in our house…yes, expectation matters and in fact it governors our relationship with others…lovely post!!!