Christmas Postathon — Day 15

Holiday cards are Day 15

I’ve always been a big fan of holiday cards. I’ve even written a post about them already.
Still, I love to write the holiday cards and this year was no different. Okay, it was a lil different…

This year, I accidentally bought religious Christmas cards. Imagine my dismay. And I don’t just mean they shout Merry Christmas, which I try to avoid, but they actually have scripture added to them. While some people on my list enjoy a specifically religious Christmas, most of my loved ones are much more secular, like me, and I can imagine their reactions to me sending New Testament verses would include a lot of eye rolling and smirking.
Of course, there may be a handful of people who will mistakenly feel relieved that I’ve finally found Jesus, which may bring false joy.

So, I mailed the religious cards to people who get on about the reason in their season, MORE JESUS FOR THEM! For the rest, I put on my glasses and shopped for new cards.
I generally avoid cards with Merry Christmas printed in them, but this year, due to my mishap, some people will unfortunately be wished a big ol Merry Christmas. They’ll get over it. I hope. If not, I got about twenty of those really religious cards left, and I’m no stranger to spite.

I don’t care what cards people send to me. I think it’s nice to be thought of. Any time someone cares enough to send me snail mail, I’m pretty flattered about it. I mean, really, if you sent me a card that read Boo You Whore, I’d hang it up all the same.
“Aw, you used a postage stamp? For me? So sweet!”

tidings

this year’s u.s. pile

Do you send out holiday cards?

This entry was posted in Personally, Random Musings and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Christmas Postathon — Day 15

1. renxkyoko says:

Yes, I do ! To our folks in the Philippines.

When we had a business, I LOVED sending holiday cards out to our authors and our vendors. At some point I even started designing my own and printing them through Vistaprint so that it said exactly what I wanted it to say and looked exactly how I wanted it to look. What, are you saying I’m a type A. Hell yes.
    I have no issue with what holiday cards are sent to me. You took the time to shop for it, write on it, address it by hand and mail it out? I’m happy to receive it and be thought of like that. Tell me Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or Happy New Year or Be well or Take care, or whatev. I’m good with that.

• joey says:

Right on!
      Yeah, before I had the baby ones, I really enjoyed stamping and embossing and glittering, but I haven’t made any in a long, long time.
      I love Vistaprint. Love it. I could spend a million on Vistaprint!

3. Last year I sent out Krampus cards and until last night had forgotten where the rest of my demonic greetings were stashed. I think I only mailed 10 or so this year.

4. Benson says:

I think everyone sends out cards to relatives and friends and such at some point in their lives. Some keep it up. I don’t. I have nothing against cards. In fact I enjoy receiving them. I just never seem to plan ahead.

5. jan says:

If I sent out overly religious cards my friends would probably stage an intervention! Most of them send e-cards because they’re saving the planet. But you can’t put an e-card on the mantel! It’s a conundrum (I just love that word).

6. Josh Wrenn says:

I did last year, in what should have been plenty of time. But they were all late or didn’t even make it. I have since cut as many ties with the USPS as possible.

7. _Marielli says:

Omg love the photo and I’ve done that once as well no one really cares but some where asking me like you really into the Christ thing on Christmas huh I’m like huh I was confused until I realized that were talking about 😆

I used to send out cards, but I don’t anymore. Christmas just got too stressful with so much to do, so I had to let something go. The cards were it. I doubt anyone even noticed!

9. orbthefirst says:

The only thing I like less than having to send out snail mail is getting mass texts.

Bah Humbug. 😛

• joey says:

Bah Humbug, Darlin x
      The last two times I went to the post, I had nice ladies who provided good service, so I’m not nearly as fearful of tragedy as I usta be 😉

General broad distribution holiday card sending ended when our daughter started art school and we started comparing costs. We still send to special people. Everyone gets religious.

11. Nancy says:

Love your way of thinking!! Those stamps are costing a lot more these days too!😉

12. I used to send out cards with a short personal message written to each recipient (not the dreaded generic Christmas/ annual update letter). I stopped a few years ago when we started receiving the photo cards. I know I irritate people when I say this, but they seem like a cop out to me. Maybe I should start sending the old-fashioned ones out again as a form of protest…

• joey says:

I don’t mind the picture ones, or the newsletters, but I do write in each one. For some people, that’s the only communication we share.
      But you know, I agree, the photo ones, without so much as a signature, do leave me feeling ordinary. I try not to conclude that I am not special 😉

13. Prajakta says:

I used to make cards during Diwali and birthdays and send it to people. Now I have stopped and stick to making really special cards for special people – somehow with ecards, the fun has stopped. That said, I am proud of about the 400 cards I have collected over my life 🙂 Pretty good messages and great for inspiration!

14. I love getting mail as well, and agree that if someone has bothered to send me a card then i must be special! I have sent out a few cards this year, ,and of course having a large family means sending and receiving lots of cards!

15. dalecooper57 says:

I only usually send cards because I get accused of being “miserable” otherwise (I’m not a big fan of Christmas) despite the fact I’m perfectly happy for everyone else to celebrate it and will make sure my daughter has a great holiday.

But this year I made a special point of sending one particular card…

Make a very special little girl happy this Christmas and send her a card. ;~}

16. It was a holiday chore, I did 50 or more, and used personalized handwritten notes. It took 2-3 days. With social media, I only do about 20 now, mainly for folks I never see during the year. It is still special to get real mail. ⛄

17. kirizar says:

Each year, I try to NOT send out the mandatory holiday card. Each year, I fail. But it is Dec. 16th. There is hope that procrastination and mental health will win out. Fingers crossed. Lovely post by the way. I’d use white out or a disclaimer on the cards you already purchased: “Sentiments found in this card are in no way a reflection of the sender’s belief system (or lack-thereof) you may find solace in the comfort that life is not so unpredictable as it seems.”

• joey says:

LOL! OH LOL! I love the disclaimer!
      Three wise men on the front and Happy Holidays on the inside? Haha! You’ve inspired me!
      I don’t consider my cards mandatory, I totally avoid holiday obligation. The cards are sent with love 😛

18. Anxious Mom says:

“Boo you whore” — my favorite movie line ever. I’d hang up that card with pride.

My cards went out yesterday. I got shit handled quick after I picked them up Monday. My husband wants to have the kids do the same “pose” each year from here on out wearing the Santa hat and elf ears. So anyone who doesn’t like it will be sorely disappointed with future cards.

19. I don’t send cards, but I do write letters to my friends overseas.

20. I do send out cards but I’m so behind the 8 ball this year! Finally ordered them this past Sunday (I’m one of those family photo card people) and should hopefully receive them later this week. They WILL make it to their destinations by Christmas!! I injected some humor into the card this year as apparently we took no nice family photos this year. I took a fun photo from our annual Martha’s Vineyard vacation where I take a pic of the kids by the same tree every year, and then went back to some previous years and included those shots as well. However, the tree has the unfortunate look of a “butt”. Thus, we named it the very creative “butt tree”!! How’s that for Merry Christmas?!

21. I haven’t been to Hallmark lately, but I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to find a “Boo You Whore” card or I’d pick one up and send it. LOL I love getting cards, but almost no one sends them any more. I send to those really special friends and any family who doesn’t use a computer. To family that I know are not going to send cards but I want to stay in touch with I make a card with a couple of photos and give a short synopsis of the year and send by email. Yep, email not FB. I find seasons greetings on FB to be about as genuine as someone giving me a McDonalds gift certificate as a gift. So, if I find a “Boo” card, I’ll send it and then you can find a Maxine card and send that to me. We’ll both be happy campers.

• joey says:

My mother seems to have no trouble finding Maxine cards! The Boo You Whore cards can be purchased on etsy 😉
      I would also take McD’s gift certificates with happiness. I cannot help it. I love their fountain Coke.
      I do not read my email.

22. I love sending cards, but I am behind this year. I went all out the last few years but unfortunately most didn’t care that I sent them. So I am a bit discouraged this year. I hate feeling like that. I love getting mail. Sadly, quite a few are family. I guess they think Facebook is good enough to communicate. So new year, I’m posting less about what we are doing. Is that mean? LOL

• joey says:

Not mean really. Being choosy is not mean. I reduced the size of my audience for information. I suppose the real bother is people asking, “If it happened, why didn’t you post about it?” O_O

• True. I’ve never liked telling everything but Facebook tends to sucker you in. I removed it from my phone about a month ago. So much better. Lol. Now just log in on computer. I was one who logged in places and said what I was watching. Bad. I’m redeemed. Lol. My Facebook page for blogging rarely gets seen so no use having on phone. At least for now.

23. Elizabeth says:

Why yes I do. Photo collages of the kids, usually with Merry Christmas as the message. This year, I did make my kids pose, but used photos taken throughout the year. Everyone wad happy!

Fondly,