Weather is a Relative Issue

We had a couple of those crazy cold days, like -3 feels like -24 and stuff like that. We endured. It’s really important to make sure your scarf is tucked into your coat quite well, or your clavicle may burn all the way up the street to the bus stop. Also, there may be something wrong with the school bus on such a cold day, and twenty-five minutes later than usual, an unfamiliar bus with an unknown driver may stop nearby and ask you if you’d like to put your children on her bus. You would. You know you would, because even the dog cried about the cold.

I like cold. I like snow. Most of winter doesn’t even faze me. When it’s 20 and up? Awesome!

When it’s unreasonably cold, I just think about those seven years in southeast Georgia — my constant red face, sweating, frizzy hair, schlepping my chaffed thighsΒ from one air-conditioned place to another, hissing at palm trees, stomping fire ants, batting away gnats, glaring at crepe myrtles, rolling my eyes at Salt Life bumper stickers — and I instantly feel better about my accelerating frostbite condition.

Then I get back to my house, strip down my layers, make a hot cuppa, rub lotion into my happy, pale, northern skin, look out my picture window and smile. So good to be home!

view from my picture window

view from my picture window today

The Mister always says if it’s going to be cold, there should at least be snow, and I heartily agree. Sometimes it’s too cold to snow. No, really, that’s actually a thing.

Ah, but this weekend it was predicted that we’d have a good, heavy, wet snow and that it’d be warm enough to play out in it!

So this morning, I was ecstatic when I woke up to seeΒ snow stacked on our trees!
I made some coffee, and while it brewed, I got back into bed with my furry family. (They waste no time in taking over The Mister’s warm spot.)

When the coffee maker beeped, I shouted, “Sadie, let’s go! There’s snow!” I threw the leash around her neck and I piled on my layers so we could go a-tromping.
There’s about half a foot, and it’s the first big snowfall we’ve had all season. It’s the first snowfall to completely cover the grass, and I mean to tell you it’s beautiful!

And so warm! Heh!

When it’s 21 in southeast Georgia, the people spazz-out, when it’s 21 here, it’s just winter. It’s amazing how warm 21 feels when it’s been so much more frigid for a while!

This post is part of LindaGHill’s SOCS

34 Responses to Weather is a Relative Issue

1. It really is difficult to be grump with winter when it gives you snow-covered tree limbs as gorgeous as that.
    It’s been cold. Minus 40 (which is the same temp in either scale) in the windchill lately. But today, it’s closer to zero and we’ve had snow. Nice fluffy easy to shovel stuff. And for that, I’m grateful, cause I’m the designated shovel-er until *my* Mister returns from his tour up north.

• I agree. And yes, it is so nice to shovel the loose, powdery stuff! πŸ™‚
      I’m sorry about your cold, but then, it IS Canada, so I reckon you’re better at it than I am!

• I’d like to think so… but if better means I don’t complain, well then… not really. πŸ™‚

• LOL I think Canadian winter is brutal. I wouldn’t like Canadian winter. I have one friend who lives in northern Ontario and I’m always like, “Snow? Already?” and then my friend in Edmonton, I’m like, “They would close Indianapolis for that weather!” — And although I don’t like summer, Canadian summers are too short!

We’re right around 7″ of snow here and still going! This is only the 2nd “real” snow we’ve gotten this season. Last one was this past week and it was only about 4-5″. LOL And we were getting the same below 0 cold and -10 to -15 wind chill. I don’t mind the cold and I don’t mind the snow…but I HATE the wind. That mother cuts through you like nuthin’ else. So today it’s no wind and we were out with all the dogs romping and playing in the falling snow. They were head first into the snow, chomping and jumping and running around and chasing each other. Definitely one of the best things about having multiple dogs is watching them get all frisky in the snow. πŸ™‚

And it’s a beautiful fluffy, snow, almost easy to walk through even though it’s pretty high. I love it! It’s also helping me get past another day of pain and yuck with the distraction of sitting in the recliner and staring out various windows at my views (snow & evergreens up front, snow and deciduous dead-limbed trees out back). YAY snow!

• I’m glad you’re with me! Sadie LOOOOOVES snow! It’s like she doesn’t even know she’s from Georgia! I wish I could let her run free in the back 40, she sure was excited to sniff every nook and cranny!
      It’s awesome today πŸ˜€

I am glad you got your snow. We’re in the mid 20s today. Heading to almost 40 tomorrow but then back to 11. In between, snow/freezing rain/rain a.k.a. “wintry mix” – enjoy the tromping!

4. hollie says:

I am not a fan of the cold, or winter, or snow. I do love to watch snow fall from inside the warmth of my house, snuggled up. It is gorgeous as it lands on trees and looks almost magical until the vehicles start mucking it up and making it icky and slushy. It hasn’t snowed here yet, but it is predicted. The ache in my bones suggest we are about to get a storm!

5. hollie says:

It just started snowing! Also, I accidentally unclicked the follow thing apparently….but I’m not following you again haha. So don’t get the notification that you have a new follower and think I deleted you, I didn’t… At least not on purpose!

• Honestly, I thought, “Huh. She must have always just followed by email.”
      I’m not good at keeping up with follows. Unless people comment, I’m like, “Meh.” LOL Awful, ambivalent me.

• hollie says:

I’ve always had both the reader and the emails but just now when I went to comment it gave me the option to “follow.” Im all, “what the French, toast?” Technology and I ate not ways friends.

6. I wouldn’t mind if I never saw snow again in my life, except that my puppy dog loves it, so I find myself hoping for it.

I’m with Maggie, but then we live relatively close to one another… -40 sucks but the light fluffy stuff sure beats the heavy stuff. After it’s that cold, a little snow and just below freezing feels balmy, doesn’t it?
    Nice picture. πŸ™‚

8. Deborah says:

After the winter you’ve had, I sometimes wonder if I’m nuts to leave Taiwan this summer. By next winter, I’m sure I will stop wondering. πŸ˜‰ Nice post!

• In my experience, the first winter after being hot for years was a little rough. Your blood thins, ya know…Only took one winter to fix that, but yeah, it’ll be an adjustment!

• Deborah says:

Apparently, my blood hasn’t thinned as much as some. I go without coats and scarfs longer than the natives, who are always asking me, “Aren’t you cold?” hahaha

Still, I know I’m in for a tough winter next year. Not looking forward to it. On the other hand, so many exciting things will be happening, I may be able to distract myself during the worst of the winter. πŸ˜‰

9. Ellen Hawley says:

After 40 (yes, 40) Minnesota winters, I don’t care if I never see another snowflake. In Cornwall, where I live now, everyone goes nuts if we have half an inch of snow. All the kids get their boogie boards (styrofoam finless surfboards) out and use them for sleds. Then they break and their all out for the garbage trucks to pick up the next week.

10. The older I get, the more I appreciate the cold. So many here retire to Arizona or Florida.If you’d asked me 10 years ago, I’d have agreed. Now..just too hot and too dry/moist. I did my time in the South, really missed the seasons. I guess I’m here to stay in the northeast.

How wonderful Joey, and I loved seeing the snowy view out your window! πŸ™‚

It warms my heart that you enjoy that stuff. I hope you get all you want. I’ll stay where the temps are in the 60’s in january and the air is decidedly dry…thank you. πŸ™‚

This time of year Georgia heat sounds pretty good to me. If I was in Georgia heat, I’d be yearning for snow and cold. It’s all relative !!

14. Veronica says:

Yay! Snow for everyone! It’s defnitely nicer when you can play in it. Beautiful photo! πŸ˜„

15. Susan says:

This is such a beautiful picture and with you making the “snow time” sound so fun, our Florida winter seems anticlimactic!

16. You hiss at palm trees? Jolene, now really! Well, I guess it’s a good thing I’m around to maintain balance in the universe. I’m going out now to talk nice to my crape myrtles.

17. Pingback: The Wheels on the Bus Come and Go | joeyfullystated