D is for Dystopian

I didn’t know Dystopian literature was a thing until about three years ago when I heard it on the television. I was like: what’s that? anti-utopian?

Why, yes, thank you Google, that’s exactly what it means.

You see, I had been reading and enjoying Dystopian literature without actually knowing it was a genre. I mean, how many times did you masturbate before you learned there was a word for it, am I right?

Ironically, the stories usually seem to take place in a utopia. But when you keep reading, you’re like: Oh, that’s definitely not perfect, and so the intrigue continues.

Here are my favorite Dystopian books:

dysdys1dys2
Yes, I do love Margaret Atwood. I’ve loved Lois Lowry since elementary school.

But, there were books, classics I read and adored early on, that might have introduced me to the concept to begin with.

dys4 dys3 dys5

Yes, I read it in French.

There are so many Dystopian novels, and they are all, as far as I’ve read, really, really good.

Anyway, I’ve come to find that Sassy enjoys Dystopian literature as well, since she read the Divergent series and Matched. I’m enthusiastic about all the hypothetical discussions we’ll be having. *rubs hands together*

Tell me, have you read any of these? Do you have a favorite Dystopian book?

This entry was posted in Personally and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to D is for Dystopian

1. Luanne says:

I am insanely in love with “The Giver” and “The Handmaid’s Tale.” I hate the movies they made of them.

I don’t tend to read these types of novels, but my husband and oldest son love them. I know they’ve read The Giver. I’ll have to tell them about Margaret Atwood. I don’t think they’ve read hers.

3. spacurious says:

So let me get this straight. You both read and write? Impressive.
    I seriously must thank you because I never imagined at this stage in my life I would learn new words and I just did. I’m going to attempt to use Dystopian in a sentence. maybe tomorrow. I did read 1984 probably in 1984 so I don’t remember it at all and Kubrick rocked A Clockwork Orange so hard that the idea of reading the book isn’t even an option.

4. suzjones says:

I’m the opposite to you in my reading. Along with my history, self help and craft I adore fantasy. But I still like you although I’m still a little bit upset about you not sharing those chocolate chip cookies. Lol

5. Hmm, guess I like D-lit too. Never heard of The Giver so imma gonna check it out. Cheer Thanks A Lot ( ala Patty – Absolutely Fabulous) 😛

6. Kat's Den says:

The Handmaid’s Tale and 1984 were awesome reads. Didn’t like the movies for either, though. I’m looking forward to the others you mentioned – had never heard of them before. Thanks for the recommendation!

love ’em too I do I do….

8. Laura Zam says:

Thanks for the books to read. I’ve never read Margaret Atwood (embarrassingly). Now, I want to. I’ll just add it to the list of books, I need to get to!

9. Bob R Milne says:

Dystopian novels have always been a fascination for me – 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, and The Handmaid’s Tale are all classics.

My A to Z Challenge