On Hibernation

Instead of Every Damn Day in December, maybe they should call it, Oh My Gawd, Will December Never End?

All I want to do is sleep. And eat. But mostly sleep.

hibernation1

The other night, I baked two lasagnas, and saved the remaining sauce for tonight’s spaghetti. The sauce is a delicious marinara, with beef, sausage, and too much basil for most people. Whatever sauce remains after this will be sopped up with crusty bread. By me. It’s not so much The Little Italian in me as much as it is the The Little Hibernator.

hibernation

This week, I’m going to make a roast with potatoes and turnips, chicken and dumplings, and whatever else is both warm and cozy, while also encouraging me to spend more time under my afghan.

my lap. yes, i always sit cross-legged.

my lap. yes, i always sit cross-legged.

Cold weather, stress, and insomnia do not generate energetic Joeys.

Today was a bus stop day, and it was cold. Yes, it was too cold for me. It was “feels like 8F.” That could be translated into “feels like my children’s education isn’t this important.”

No, I don’t still wish I lived in Georgia. I don’t even think the dog wishes we lived in Georgia. She plopped herself down in the snow and began eating the bus stop. Walking her home, I contemplated that winter weather is a necessary price to pay for the glory of Spring. The glory of Spring in Georgia is that one day in March, all the azaleas bloom. Pretty boring compared to here. So no matter how cold it is, or how much I complain of freezin my ass off, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

The earth needs to rest.

And so do I.

Maybe about twelve hours a day.

hibernation2

But I hafta keep waking up. Alarms, children, pets, and phones wake me.

*yawn* It’s really only quarter to eight?
Just put another quilt on the bed, will ya?

This entry was posted in Personally, Random Musings and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to On Hibernation

I don’t mind December because the holidays give me something to look forward to. But come January where there’s nothing left but a miserable January, February, and March? Blech. It’s a long road to April when there’s nothing but cold and snow to greet you. 🙂

Winter lasted forever here this year – well into April. I hope we have a better one this year. Looks like we’ll have a white Christmas, which is always nice. 🙂
    After that I’m with you on the hibernation.

3. words4jp says:

I come bearing gifts: http://words4jp.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/gratitude-and-appreciation/

Please know that you do not have to accept – I realize you may not accept awards. I perfectly understand and mean no disrespect. I see these awards as gifts – gifts of appreciation and gratitude for your inspiration and the friendship you bring to my heart. xx

4. Oh my goodness – this is exactly how I feel! I just want to spend every day cuddled up and eating snacks. I swear every day in the winter revolves around me eating comfort food and snuggling to stay warm.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! xoxo – Natalie

Nothing worse I believe than being told, it’s 19 degrees but feels like 7….Here, that is almost always, it’s 44 and feels like 43 but usually it’s 44 and feels like 44….lack of moisture is like that. I would not trade no snow for snow and ice again. lol…Stay warm and cozy!

6. Aussa Lorens says:

Oh my gosh, I’m too distracted by that adorable little kitten to focus on anything else.
    I mean…. yes, cold and sleepy, ah! Why isn’t hibernating an option for us???

7. Matt Roberts says:

I’m kinda ticked about this spring. Winter was the worst ever, so I figured we would have a mild spring and summer. So far it has been so humid I sweat just thinking about going outside. And it’s not even mid-March yet! Ugh, I love this area, and I equally hate it.