Sew Bitchy

I hope you’ve enjoyed the week of Five Drunken Stories.

It’s time to move on.

Sewing Machine Drama

I bought a refurbished sewing machine last week. Yesterday, I took it out, fiddled with it, and in the end, decided that instead of throwing it through the window and then beating it to bits with a bat, I would just box it back up and hope someone buys it in a yard sale.

My struggles were based on the bobbin case. (When aren’t they?) This particular machine had a door that was impossible to get the bobbin in and out of easily, let alone trying to reset the shuttle case. I wish I had played with it while I was there, because there were others to chose from.
Learn from my mistake, will ya?

kenmore1
I have small hands, and I couldn’t get my hand in there to release it. The Mister and Sassy have nice long fingers, but they still couldn’t release the bobbin. After a few minutes with his hand shoved in there, The Mister pulled out in the entire shuttle. *sigh*

The answer was to turn the machine over, opening it up. Hot light makes machine hot!

kenmore2
After that, the machine had to be re-threaded. Every time. After doing that about fifteen times, as well as internet searches for a manual or a video, I nearly lost my mind and decided to buy a new machine. Like, new, right out of the box. I got no argument from The Mister, who said I have a lot more patience than he does.
(Shh, everyone has a lot more patience than he does.)

Some of my friends looked at one photo or another, and tried to say helpful things such as, “pull the hatch and it will come out” or “open the machine up” like I have never used a sewing machine in my life. I should probably have laughed it off, but I cried about it and spent the rest of the night convinced that no one listens to me, and that at least a handful of my friends think I have the dumb. Fortunately, some people understood the issue and rejoiced in my new purchase.

I anticipate at least one person will skim this post and offer me inapplicable advice about sewing machines.

singer

I haven’t opened my new sewing machine yet, but I know it has a horizontal bobbin and an LED light, and that shit makes me sooo happy!

Tomorrow A-Z Blogging begins!

If you’re interested in participating, just click the A-Z icon on the right side of my page, and it will link you to its origin and procedure.

Other Exciting News:

I’m being interviewed by another blogger!

Spring Break is here!

It’s going to be 66 and sunny today!

I took a four-hour nap!

I finally found this ice cream, *squee* and I am gonna eat it up!

jamcore

21 Responses to Sew Bitchy

Did you try taking it out with a strong magnet? *skims post again* Never mind. 😉
    Will catch up with your posts from the last few days later. Looking forward to it.
    A-Z tomorrow! Yay! Come on, Joey, dance with me! Yay!
    hehe

I didn’t skim your post, and I can’t give you sewing machine advice, but I think it’s cool that you sew. I used to long, long ago and loved it. I used to crochet and knit, too. I’d love to take them up again, especially crochet, but I no longer remember how. I hope it’s like riding a bike.

As for the ice cream, what’s in that yummy concoction?

• I never could crochet or knit. I think I’d love to, but sewing/quilting is enough at this point. My mother crochets like mad, and makes so many wonderful things. I dunno if it’s like riding a bike. I hadn’t used a sewing machine in about four years, and that was a no-brainer — it was like riding a bike!

It’s chocolate on one side, raspberry and chocolate chips on the other, and a core of raspberry jam. Mmm, I think I will eat it on Sunday, while watching Game of Thrones! 😛

• Carrie Rubin says:

Sounds yummy. I like Stephen Colbert’s Americone flavor. (Yes, that’s the actual Ben & Jerry’s name for it.) But it’s very naughty, so I don’t indulge in it often.

And thusly I offer you inapplicable advice about sewing machines. My advice is, find a friend who sews and use (and abuse) your friendship often to ask them to sew the things that need sewin’. My “friend” is my mother. 🙂
    I bought a sewing machine (with cabinet and foot pedal!) off a friend who needed money. It looked a lot like my mother’s sewing machine so I thought “hey, cool, I know how to use HER machine so this one should be easy!” Seriously, in the 8 years I had it? I never opened it once (although I took the cover off a couple of times to stare at it balefully). I finally gave it to hub’s aunt who said she wanted to sew for her daycare kids. Now I can’t believe I let that behemoth take up so much space for 8 years.
    But hey, good luck on ya! Happy sewin’! (also, I have this shirt that is ripped a the seam….)

• LOL I only do simple stitching. Quilts, napkins, pillow covers, that sorta thing.

My first one was a behemoth too, but I loved it and used it I killed the motor. I sold it, too, because people love a sewing machine in a table, for some reason! This new one is so light, Moo can carry it 🙂

4. words4jp says:

I have no advice except that I expect you to wear the pretty red dress and shoes while you are seeing your masterpieces!! I can call you the Singer Girl;) oh and red nail polish and red lipstick;)

I had a bobbin just like that….it was definitely a challenge…often it fell out. It was a one-finger put in. I bought a refurbished Brother computerized baby that works beautifully and has a top loading bobbin which basically does it by itself. So far so good. I don’t sew a lot and so no doubt the next time, I’ll have to read the instruction booklet again to remember how to do stuff. I also have a button start stop and do I ever love that! Hope you have better success with the new one.

Yay for four hour naps! 😉 Have fun with your new sewing machine, and enjoy the lovely weather! Snowing here this morning… sigh…

7. suzjones says:

I love the horizontal bobbin (with clear plastic so I can see just when it is about to run out) on my Brother. I love the stitches. I love everything about it.
    I just know you’ll love your new machine too. 🙂