Autopilot

If you’ve never driven a familiar route, letting your mind wander off, singing along mindlessly and suddenly realizing, “Oh look, there’s my exit! How’d I get here so fast?” then you probably won’t relate to this post.
I’ve done that for ages. Or rather, I used to.
Then I had to move to Georgia and think about everything all the time until I developed anxiety disorder and decided my driving time would be better spent in vertigo on the edge of panic…but I digress.

In case you haven’t read me for a long time, I should let you know, when we came back from Georgia, we moved to the community my husband grew up in. My community would be included, since we attended the same high school, but my old stomping grounds are north of an interstate ramp, while where we live and where he lived are south of it.

When he lived here, in the L, he lived in a big blue house. We all call it The Big Blue House. Before his parents lived in it, his grandparents lived in it, so you can imagine it’s one of those places that holds memories. I’m not sayin that we’re all sorta attached to it, but we are. I’m not sayin we all pitched a fit when they sold it and moved to the stupid new house, but we did. I’m not sayin that Drew longs to make it her own, but I am. And I’m certainly not sayin that if we possessed too much money, we would buy it for her, but I am.  If, on Fourth of July, we still park there, and walk over to talk to the unwelcome squatter new owner, and she happens to mention she’s thinkin about sellin, we do not all simultaneously think, “Aw, that’s too bad,” and “Oh really?!?”

is it any wonder that bubba loved that show?

is it any wonder that bubba loved that show?

I could not possibly relate how much time I spent in The Big Blue House. My in-laws have been like my second set of parents for near thirty years, so that should give you an idea.

So, a lot of times I am going to the grocery, the vape shop, the park, the DQ, or the post office, and my brain, on autopilot, takes me to The Big Blue House.

I try to avoid a complicated left turn where railroad tracks meet a hill and a curve, so I turn down a smaller road and suddenly there I am, at The Big Blue House. Truly, strolled down memory lane, out of habit.

memoryln

Of course, when I arrive at The Big Blue House, I realize I have no purpose there, and I grimace and drive on to my destination.

Do you drive on autopilot? Does anything like this happen to you?

This entry was posted in Personally and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Autopilot

1. swo8 says:

Yes, I often drive in auto pilot. I get a bit disoriented at night time because I don’t see the familiar things in the same prospective. Definitely have to keep focused.
    Leslie

I’ve driven on autopilot sometimes, too, and it’s scary. You end up somewhere realizing you were so absorbed in your thoughts you barely remember making the drive. But I don’t think I’ve ever arrived someplace I hadn’t intended. At least not yet…

OK, first off, I think you should own the Big Blue House. I have driven on autopilot on several occasions. Twice, I have not noticed until I was in the neighboring state. Fortunately, states are closer together here than they are in the midwest. Thanks for making me smile.

• Thanks, Dan. Yeah, The Mister says he would’ve wanted The Big Blue House if it had been for sale while we were lookin, but we just hope when it’s available, Drew can snatch it up.
      I prefer this house (and land) for my own living though. Shhh…don’t tell The Mister.

If you’re driving there on autopilot, you really oughta own it 🙂

We grew up in the house Mom grew up in. That seems such sn oddity in todays transient families.

5. I definitely autopilot sometimes and often by the time I figure out I’m going somewhere other than where I need to be I can be miles out of my way, today was a good example of that!

6. meg68 says:

I have fallen in love with several houses (I’ve lived in) over the years, some have a personality that I just can’t resist, while others I’ve left happily..
    One way or another I’ve had to move on, but I often find myself back outside wistfully observing how the trees have grown, or how the flower beds I planted are faring.
    Always on purpose though, I have too many kids in the car distracting me to auto pilot…

7. Samara says:

I’m EXACTLY like Red Hot and Saucy, so maybe it’s a redhead thing? I also have to have music on, and sometimes I’m listening to the song and not paying attention to where I’m going…

I haven’t lived here long enough in Las Cruces for that to happen yet……but I do lose track of where I am at times..that’s pretty common, if a bit disconcerting…I feel like a bad driver when I do it…Also staring at a red light ahead and having it fail to register as such….

9. I’m always spacing and missing my exits. I am all over the place in my thoughts: past, present, future. I recover before too long, though, and turn around feelin dopey.

One thing I do a lot is look at my old neighborhood on google maps satellite view. I remember all kinds of stuff from childhood. Places where my friends lived. Places where we rode bikes. Places where we played sports. (This the actual spot where I scored my first goal, haha: http://goo.gl/maps/Ai9lp )

10. maurnas says:

I do this all the time and it is so disorienting that I sometimes wonder if I am secretly being abducted by aliens. How do I zone out like that while driving? I call it road hypnosis.

11. Pingback: On the Floor | joeyfullystated