Happiness

Veronica at Owl Wonder tagged me to write about the happiest moments in my life. I think that would be too lengthy a post for me, since I’m one of those gawd-awful people who thinks happiness is a choice. I have this friend named Root Beer, who maintains a happiness list, and it’s really, really, long. Mine would be, too. But here are some highlights:

Joy
— the birth of my children
— every time my big kids come “home”
— every homecoming, when The Mister returned from training or deployments
— every time I sit at a table full of food and smiling people
— finding the painting*
— every time someone I love lets go of the shit that weighs them down

quote-wanna-fly-you-got-to-give-up-the-shit-that-weights-you-down-toni-morrison-301091

Bliss

— waking up on the edge of Lake Erie, not having known we’d camped there*
— morning, December 5, 1998
— my first one-bedroom, only-me apartment, 420 square feet of peace & quiet
— the smell of lilacs, old books, and lavender
— good music
— every time I visit the ocean, or take a hike in the woods
— finishing a great book
— sleepy daughters sliding into my bed in the morning
— having a brilliant idea
— foot reflexology
— when the writing just flows
— when The Mister reads my mind
— a hot bath followed by cold sheets
— sex
— the first day the tulips open

Happiness

— seeing other people happy
— drinking a hot cup of coffee while I stand in the snow
— catching up with an old friend
— dancing
— cuddles with my pets
— baking
— moongazing
— helping people
— long walks
— long drives
— a cup of tea when the dishes are done
— coming home after a long trip
— making people laugh
— our skyline at night
— cookin up somethin yummy
— toiling in the soil
— stitching
— a well-made cocktail
— family Friday dinners at our Mexican place
— a crisp fall day in Brown County
— ice cream
— making human connection
— a plate of raw oysters and a glass of cold water with lemon
— taking in a great show
happiness_is_gratitude-407375

Contentment

— gray, drizzly days
— word games
— crossword puzzles
— good hair
— the light in this house
— wearing boots, scarves, hats, and mittens
— sweet, juicy summer fruit
— my white pajamas

75-happiness-quotes
It’s impossible to be unhappy while you list the things that make you happy!

*stories that still need to be written

I’m not going to tag anyone, but I’d love to see your lists of happiness.

29 Responses to Happiness

1. Veronica says:

Love this! Foot reflexology?! I need to do this. I have a coupon and still have yet to go. Everyone is telling me it’s amazing.

2. menomama3 says:

I am SO impressed and happy to see this list! You made ME happy by posting it and I’m now happy to be in front of my screen typing this comment. I’m doing the Snoopy happy dance, nose i the air, arms spread, twirling. Thank you.

3. Very nice to read so happy post 😀
    I agree we need to have an positive attitude.

So many things on your list make me happy too: the meals with family, finishing a great book, long walks (in warm weather…). I also love going to movies with my family. Just sitting there with my clan gives me the simplest delight. As does the popcorn.

Wonderful post.

Yeah, it’s pretty much what you decide. But I realize you can’t overthink it either. It just creeps up on ya and suddenly it hits ya..Yeah, I freakin’ really happy. I been that way for like 2 + years now…weird, but stable..

That’s a pretty good list. Focusing on and remembering the things that make you happy will keep you happy.

7. rgemom says:

December 5, 1998 was my wedding day, so that one makes me very happy too. 😉
    Going to “borrow” this idea for a post this week. And you’re so right, it’s nearly impossible to be negative or unhappy when listing all the things that make you happy.

8. I love this for its randomness. It made me smile big.

The lists were very natural, like you were rattling off happy thoughts at a rapid pace. There’s nothing worse than seeing a list like this that is forced or overacted. So, thanks for making this awesome.

9. I could copy your list . . . truly . . . smiling

Love this! I would have so many of these same things on my own list…

11. Now I like you even more.

12. What a wonderfully long list. It is surprising ho many things actually do make us happy. It was lovely reading your happy moments. 🙂

13. Indeed there is much to be happy and blissful about. such a great perspective

14. Pingback: Finding the Painting | joeyfullystated

15. Wow! This is quite a list and it seems to have just come out so naturally….you seem to live a blessed life!

16. suzjones says:

I love how you’ve written your list Joey and I will most happily play along. 🙂

17. Pingback: Happiness is….. | It Goes On