H is for Humor

People are always laughing at me.
I love that.
Then they apologize.
That upsets me.

Duh, I wrote it to be funny.

67696_553529187995423_1474884783_n

Sometimes I think people must think I’m fragile, as they apologize for laughing. You can laugh at me all you want, I sure do. My sense of humor is quirky. If your sense of humor isn’t quirky, or if you stand on the side of the fence where sarcasm and profanity are said to be crude tools for a dull mind, then stop fucking reading me, you dimwit!

Humor heals. If we don’t laugh at our miseries, they win.
I don’t think laughter hides pain, I think laughter is a way to treat pain. It doesn’t take much effort to find the pain in humor, but it takes great effort to find humor in the pain.

I’m not saying there’s humor in every situation, but with the right spin…

qtation26660
Go Google the health benefits of laughter. Hell, some of us are alive solely because we’ve laughed our way this far!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to H is for Humor

Yup. Your posts make me laugh, and thus make me healthier. Thanks, Dr. Jolene…she says on her way to her psychiatrist’s appointment for more happy medicine (truly, I am)!

Love,
    E

Love your sense of humor! As always, thanks for the medicine!

3. spacurious says:

I like to think that I’m laughing WITH you.

4. LadyPinkRose says:

I laugh at myself all the time. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be so happy!! LOL Great post!

5. Couldn’t have put it better myself! 🙂

I love this Joey… “Humor heals. If we don’t laugh at our miseries, they win.
    I don’t think laughter hides pain, I think laughter is a way to treat pain. It doesn’t take much effort to find the pain in humor, but it takes great effort to find humor in the pain.”

“I don’t think laughter hides pain, I think laughter is a way to treat pain.”—Yes! I couldn’t agree more. As far as those who believe sarcasm implies a dull mind, then my family is in trouble. We all seem to excel at sarcasm. Guess we’re doomed.

There might not be humor in every situation (at the moment) but give it a minute or two. Sooner or later, at every wake I’ve been to, some people end up laughing. What can be more serious than standing around a dead guy? Still, we will find a reason to laugh and I think that’s a special part of our nature.

I laugh at you a lot. I point it out, but mainly because I think you will be glad to know that you made me laugh. I laugh at me too. Good job with “H”

9. Sarcasm is not a crude tool for the dull mind, In fact exactly the opposite is true. It takes a keen intellect to properly apply sarcasm. That is not the case with profanity sadly. Anybody can use (and overuse) it to the point it’s mind-numbing. But even Mark Twain felt the need occasionally: “Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.”

I laugh at you a lot . I think if we’re notvlaughing we’d be crying way too often. Laughter is the way to go.

PS tomorrow I’m (finally) posting about the Creative Blogging Award you gave me ‘a moon ago’ 😋

11. In a fit of laughter I sometimes say if I don’t laugh I’ll cry and I’d rather laugh. 🙂

12. “If we don’t laugh at our miseries, they win.”
    Just love this sentence.
    I agree with almost everything you wrote. I’m not sure, however, if laughter doesn’t hide pain, sometimes. My father laughed a lot and joked about everything. Anyone, not knowing him well, would have thought that he took everything lightly and saw the world with a very optimistic eye. In fact he worried a lot and wasn’t the goofy guy he appeared to be. I think that his laughter and sense of humor were his shield and he used them to hide some of his suffering.
    In any case you are 100% right that regardless of the use we make of laughter, it is a magnificent emotional human tool.

13. Anxious Mom says:

If those are tools for a dull mind, at least you’re in good company 😀

14. Prajakta says:

Great thoughts here! Learning to laugh at your own self is the best therapy around 🙂

15. shanjeniah says:

The day I was set to home from the hospital without our baby boy, who was in the NICU in a coma, my Accomplice said he was eager to meet with the doctor, so they could tell us “whether this little boy’s going to be OK, or whether we need to get him some asparagus to keep him company.”

Humor, even gallows humor, was so unexpected in that moment. It was the first time I’d laughed since Elijah was born.

I needed that so very much.

I clung to that little nugget of laughter for the rest of Elijah’s life, and the aftermath of his death.

Laughter can be life, and sanity, when life seems filled with anything but.

Spot-on post!

Agreed! Hell, half the time if I didn’t laugh, I’d cry. It’s a choice, damnit!

17. cleemckenzie says:

I’m laughed at a lot. I think it has to do with what I write. Laughing is the only way to make the day really good.

18. Deborah says:

Hell, some of us are alive solely because we’ve laughed our way this far!

This is so true! What a good reminder about how important it is to keep the humor going. 🙂

19. Pingback: Second Serving Sunday: The Greening Up Edition | shanjeniah