#ThursdayDoors — BSU

Today I bring you more doors from Ball State University. Most of the older buildings are on the south end of campus. I’da liked to capture more doors in the quad, from the quad, but there were hundreds of kids involved in some sorta colorful activity, and I just couldn’t get too many clean shots. Featured here are Lucina Hall, the old/former library & assembly hall now called North Quad, and the Fine Arts Building, which also houses theΒ David Owsley Museum of Art.

IMG_3627IMG_3629IMG_3653IMG_3654IMG_3655IMG_3639IMG_3642

#ThursdayDoors is part of an inspired post series run by Norm Frampton. To see other doors of interest, or to share your own, click the link and find the frog.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to #ThursdayDoors — BSU

1. loisajay says:

I do like the photo with the bikes in it. So happy to see that basket on the bike. My Schwinn had the old metal basket on it. Gosh, I loved that bike.

2. Norm 2.0 says:

Love the light and shadows in the first few shots. Nice combination of brick and stone facades.

• joey says:

I must say, I’m really proud of my first shot. That one, and a photo I took of DeHority Complex from June, I tell ya, they’re better than the professional shots online. I appreciate your compliment more than you know. Thank you.
      So much depends on the light and the position of the sun, I’m really starting to notice that, although I can’t always be patient enough to get it right.

3. Vicky says:

Lovely, they all rather imposing, warranted by the fact it’s a university, entrances to the seat of learning…makes me want to be academic if only to open the doors πŸ™‚

These are great doors. I like the one with the sidelights that only have glass in the top panel. I always wonder when I see things like that, why they did it that way. It looks good, though. I also like how (it appears) they replaced some doors but tried to fit the original style. I love the angled dentil molding over the door that appears to have been replaced.

• joey says:

Do they really design them that way? I’d thought they were painted over. I’ll pay more attention in the future. As a homeowner, I hated lower glass panes, because toddlers and pets — constant cleaning of little panes is not my favorite!
      Ball State has a super school of architecture, and they do tend to put great effort into restoration. Just another reason I’m proud of where I went to school.
      I’m glad you liked these. I enjoyed the trip πŸ™‚

5. Great doors and windows, Joey, and that brickwork is beautiful.

6. I love the greens in the last building. They add an interesting pop!

7. Luanne says:

Wowsa! Great shots! I love that slightly whimsical architecture!

8. Great pics, Joey! Love the architecture.
    Have a nice weekend! πŸ™‚

9. Solid, handsome doors that lead to higher education are a good thing. πŸ™‚

10. JT Twissel says:

I have a step brother named David Owsley!

11. Oooh, my favorite is Lucina Hall and image with the girls bike with wonderful wicker basket! I’ve wanted an English straw basket on my bike forever, but don’t ride it enough to justify it…but I want one!
    I also love the door with the reflections of the impatiens? Lovely!

It looks like you dodged all the people really well.

• joey says:

I got two photos from inside the quad, but ended up getting the other two from the street sides. I did alright.
      I wish our community (and its drivers) were more pedestrian and cycle friendly. I don’t know why the Y hasn’t installed a bicycle track πŸ˜‰ I’d get me a yellow bike with a basket πŸ™‚ lol

12. It looks such a beautiful building Joey. What a lovely place to go to school πŸ™‚

13. Benson says:

I love the stone arch entry. It always looks so Medieval to me. Is there still a dorm called Painter Hall?

14. Ally Bean says:

I’m in love with that stone arch entry + doors. And the color blue in that sky. Amazeballs. [I’m also wondering why I didn’t even consider Ball State when I was looking at colleges.]

15. Susanne says:

What a great looking campus. I’m fascinated by the numbers of universities and colleges in the USA, so different from us in the GWN. (Great White North)

16. When the doors are inviting yet slightly intimidating it’s a perfect pull to study.

17. Your money shot was photo #2; spells pro all over it. It looks like you used a polarizing filter to get the dark blue sky and windows (if you weren’t using a filter then you have a new future as a photographer cause you know your lighting). That university campus seems so clean; how do they manage that? And the school of arch shows cause the building designs incorporate modern doors quite nicely in those buildings.

• joey says:

That’s an AWESOME compliment, thank you. I didn’t use a filter, is just an iPhone. I got lucky. I don’t know much about light, truly, I’m only starting to understand.
      I’d like to tell you that Ball State students appreciate their beautiful campus and keep it litter-free, and I’m sure that plays into it, but there’s also a maintenance crew for those who do not take pride in it.

Tell me about it:

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s