Laura nominated me to play along in the Christmas Tag thingy.
Um, Yule. Potato, potahto, latkes, yum! Thank you, Laura!
1. Which Christmas carol makes you change the radio station in five seconds or less? Which one makes you turn the volume all the way up so you can sing along?
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer — I hate it. I hated it when I was ten years old. I do not find it funny. It makes me incredibly sad for Grandpa. If a reindeer had trampled my grandmother, someone in my family woulda filled that fucker with buckshot.
White Christmas is probably my favorite one to sing. I regularly annoy my husband with “May your days be merry and briiiiiight” for about a month. Just randomly belting that out. He hates that about me. If it isn’t that one, it’s Angels We Have Heard on High, which is really GLOOO-OOOOO-OOOOOR-RIA, also annoying to husband, but musically more complex, and not as directly optimistic as merry and bright, so a bit more tolerable I suspect.
August Burns Red – Carol of the Bells is to be listened to at full blast. And thou shalt bang thy head.
2. Loose tinsel, garland tinsel, or “hell no, you’re not coming near my tree with that tinsel stuff”?
No. No, thank you.
Oh, on your tree? How festive!
3. What one tradition do you really have to have on Christmas Day for it to feel like Christmas Day?
Bake. I must bake. Baking is my thing.
4. Have you ever spotted something in, say, March and thought, “Gee, that would be perfect for so-and-so’s Christmas present, I’ll just pick it up.”?
5. Have you ever found a Christmas present years later that you bought early then totally forgot about until you were searching for just one more roll of wrapping paper in the back of the storage room?
No, but my dog did months later. I had bought Moo a video game for Christmas, and I had hidden it so well I hid it from myself. The following September, about a week after we got Sadie, she brought me the game in her soft mouth, wagging her tail. I don’t know where she got it or how she knew. It was the damnedest thing. She is a magical beast.
6. Have you ever regifted a present?
Yes. Many nice gifts are nice gifts for someone else.
7. Do you have more than one Christmas tree in your home? If so, do you decorate them differently?
Haha! No. Am I livin in The Southwest Virginia Museum? Sorry, that’s what I think of when I imagine Christmas tree heaven. My goodness, I live in a bungalow with three other people, three cats, and a dog. We must all limit our possessions to prevent chaos.
8. What food or drink do you associate most strongly with the Christmas season?
It is not Christmas without mini iced sugar cookies. Which I bake.
9. What’s the weirdest holiday story you have from childhood?
I will say one funny thing I remember is sitting at the coffee table with my cousins, eating Life Savers, when out of the blue my youngest cousin said, “How to attack birds” and we all laughed because she was learning to read and the book was “How to Attract Birds.” It STILL makes me laugh, mostly because the imagery of my mother attacking birds is absolutely hysterical! If you knew my mother, you’d laugh too. Try that with your own mother. Go ahead. Visualize your mom attacking birds.
10. Lights – big or small? white or multicolored? blinking or solid?
They’re all good, depending on the overall look. I love the lights. My tree is medium white lights and solid.
11. Tree toppers – angel, star, something else?
A five-pointed star, cause pagan heathen Unitarian. It has just occurred to me that an angel holding a wee iced sugar cookie would also be acceptable.
12. How do you know when it’s time to take down the decorations?