Q is for Quilts

I love quilts. I love strip quilts and wedding band quilts and yo-yo quilts and art quilts and crazy quilts and I have never met a quilt I didn’t like, although I tend to prefer whites and I tend to prefer squares.
I love to look at quilts, I love to make quilts, and most of all, I love to snuggle with quilts. I am a blanket girl. My girls are blanket girls.
A good quilt is soft and cold. The best quilts are the old ones, the ones that are worn-out and tattered, because they are the softest.
I have a fairly serious cotton fetish, since I have sensitive skin. I could easily be a fabric junkie. I have learned to control myself. I struggle to control myself. I fall in love with fabric.

Quilts

Papa Quilts (quilts made by my dad, embroidery by my mother):

mine

mine, repeated block

sissy's

sissy’s, each sunbonnet sue & suspender sam are doing something different, 12 blocks

sassy's (sassy included)

sassy’s (sassy included)

moo's

moo’s, five rows

Quilted pillows gifted to me this winter by Lady Molly Quilts:

quilts 006

Art quilt made also by Lady Molly Quilts:

yes, the lace is real!

yes, the lace is real!

Bubba’s baby quilt, made by Granny:

only the oldest grandchildren have these

only the oldest grandchildren have these

The Mister’s baby quilt:

hand-crafted by MIL

hand-crafted by MIL

Quilt purchased for me by my in-laws at a church auction:

machine quilted

machine-quilted, hand-appliqued

Old quilt:

beach, trunk, dog blanket

beach/ trunk/ dog blanket

Then I have quilts in various stages of work. My one and only completely finished quilt has already been gifted to HME. It was a nine-patch pattern in jewel tones, and I’m not going to search for the photo…

Sassy’s:

baby clothes inserts

baby clothes inserts, top 1/2 done

Sassy’s keepsake baby quilt:

pieced-top only

pieced-top only

Drew’s:

machine-pieced, hand-quilted

machine-pieced, huge & heavy(the mister is behind it) halfway through hand-quilting

I have Moo’s pieces cut and ready to sew. One child at a time, hmm?

Then there are the mass-produced quilts…Still comforting.

From Waverly:

most snuggled quilt in the house

most snuggled quilt in the house

From Laura Ashley:

ours

ours

But here’s me, a few months ago, with a few squares of my favorite project:

psquilt
The postage stamp quilt.

A much beloved, much respected woman in our lives left me a ton of vintage fabric, everything from clothing scrap to calicoes. The fabric is in varied condition. Some of them are remnant pieces from her own quilts, and some are yards. In order to make the most use of all the pieces, the only way to salvage most of it — is to use a tiny pattern.
This one will be mine. This one is 100% hand-pieced and will be hand-quilted, or perhaps merely tacked — I certainly have time to decide. I assume I will finish it when I am an old woman, but I do so love to sit and stitch from time to time, so it’s a labor of love. Each square is one inch by one inch, and it takes 12 inches to make each block…
People often ask me how big it will be. REALLY BIG? I have no idea. One day, I will find myself nearing the end of the fabric pieces, and then I guess I’ll have a better idea.

This entry was posted in Personally and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Q is for Quilts

Talk about a way to stay present. I imagine (not having the ability to sew more than a button) that having your attention drift too far away results in mistakes. I admire your passion and interest. Fascinating.

Best regards,
    Elizabeth

Quilts!!! I loved seeing all your photos of the various quilts Joey! 🙂
    It’s been quite some time since I’ve quilted, but I’ve made me a many of them over the years, and I love quilting! Even though I’m not in quilting mode anymore I still have my stash of fabric and I’ve also picked up a couple of quilt tops that I’ve found at thrift stores that I want to finish for the anonymous person who started them, so I hope to get back to it someday.

I have made 2 quilts…one was my first…simple nine patch…not very pretty…second was a queen sized that was stars and very intricate and turned out well. I’m lousy with color unfortunately. I just ordered fabric for a simple kind of blanket quilt just for my chair in the living room to really serve as a cover for the top, so that oil from hair doesn’t ruin the fabric…I’ll photo that one when done…I have one in progress…tulips and hearts in pinks and green for spring…haven’t worked on it for ages and ages…am a stickler for hand quilting only. I have hand pieced, but will machine piece…such are my quilting rules.

always wanted to make a postage stamp….we should trade some fabrics! I’ve got a good sized stash for sure…

5. spacurious says:

But how do you feel about quilts?

6. suzjones says:

That’s a lot of work in your little handstitched masterpiece. It is such a labour of love. Have you seen my hexagon quilt I am hand stitching. It is made up of remnants from other projects and little pieces I have found that aren’t big enough for anything else.
    I hope to be finished the Tween’s quilt within the next month and then I am starting on a quilt for my MIL. I also have one I want to work on for my mother… and then there are the grandchildren. Although I won a homemade quilt yesterday at a country fete that is going to my grandson. lol

7. Deborah says:

I fall in love with fabric, too. I almost like playing with fabric more than the actual quilting. Almost. 😀

8. momfawn says:

I love quilts! When my mom was pregnant with me, she started a strip quilt for my crib, but didn’t get it finished. For my 59th Christmas, in remission from breast cancer, she finished it and gave it to me (she made her great-granddaughter a quilt, too). It was a wonderful gift of love! – Fawn

9. Matt Roberts says:

My grandma had a quilt that was old and worn, and I loved it because it smelled like her and her house. I loved that smell. I loved how comfortable it was. Sadly it wore completely out and was thrown out, but it was always my favorite one.

10. lbeth1950 says:

Oh man! I just love these, especially those made by grandparents. You’d better be sure to make one for each kid! My daughter doesn’t think she wants one, but I will make one and hang onto it for her. She has no idea what she or the grandchildren might want someday