Cletus the Dog Kitten

As many of you may remember, we adopted Cletus the Tuxedo kitten last summer. We did this in part because I thought it would be nice for our dog Sadie to have a little friend. Sadie had long been trying to play with our other cats, and as sensible felines, they’d have none of that.
Cletus is exactly what Sadie needed. Cletus absolutely plays with her. Cletus loves to play chase with Sadie, especially while Sadie’s leash trails behind her. And what kitten wouldn’t want to attack a dog’s wagging fluffy tail?

dogs-and-cats-dog-loves-rabbit_146260

But Cletus the kitten spent a great deal of time with Sadie the dog, and he modeled some of her canine behaviors…

Cletus the kitten sniffs and tracks like a dog. When it’s quiet in the house, I can hear him sniffing things in another room. Yes, I’m aware that cats sniff things, too, but not like this. I sit on one end of the loveseat, eating my tuna noodle casserole. Sadie lies on the floor in front of me. Cletus perches on the opposite arm, sniffing. I CAN HEAR HIM SNIFFING. “Whatcha got there, Mama? Lil tuna? Lil noodles? Lil peas? In a white sauce? Mmm, that smells delicious!” Child sits down on the sofa with a bowl of popcorn, and he sniffs in her direction, “That smells good,” his sniffs say, as he saunters over to rub her popcorn-fetching arm.

Like a dog, this cat eats anything. You’d think it’d be okay to leave your chips and salsa on the coffee table while you answer the phone, but no.

0a1c92fb6b91bc9190a8b5e5130418b7

Cletus and Sadie have apparently set up an agreement by which Cletus jumps up onto the countertop and tosses over whatever I’ve left out.
“Sadie, would you like some cornbread?”
“Yes, Cletus, yes!”
“Sadie, would you like a lil hammy sammy?”
“Yes, Cletus, yes!”
“Sadie, would you like some bacon?”
“Oh yes, please, Cletus, please!”

animal4

I have to put everything away now, because Cletus will totally stick his paw into a container of sour cream before rolling it onto the floor for his good pal, Sadie. Now I must always use lids on the cooktop, otherwise there’s to be no more leaving anything on the stove with a low heat, because Cletus will be happy to eat taco turkey meat while it’s still warm, and he’ll be happy to bat some down to Sadie as well.

chimp-tiger

Since he apparently imprinted on the dog, Cletus also responds to the chimes of the alarm system, alerting him to open doors and windows, as well as rushing to greet his humans when they come home. He also stands at the door and looks out longingly when his humans leave. When the doorbell rings, he’s right behind Sadie, probably hopeful that someone has brought him a lifetime supply of ice cream, which, no matter how many times you tell him, “This is specifically not for kitties!” he cannot resist, as he sniffs his way to your bowl.

Morning with Cletus is >pounce, pounce, pounce, audibly sniff human nose< “Good morning Mama! Isn’t it a great time for you to put kibble in my bowl?”

Now and again, one of the other cats will tackle him, pin him down, and groom him. I think, like parents would, they tell him, “You are a cat. Be a cat. Stop with all the sniffing and don’t hang around that dog so much, she’s nothing but trouble!”

Old-Dog-and-Cat-Sleepy-Embrace

I’ve had other cats who’ve guarded our children, our house, and our yard in ways you’d expect a dog to do, but I’ve never had such a doggish cat. Have you ever had a cat who acted like a dog?

If you enjoyed the photos here, you should watch this video — which is looped, because who could watch it just the one time?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Cletus the Dog Kitten

Adorbs! ❤

2. hollie says:

I once had a cat who would roll over on command but was otherwise cat like. She only liked me and men, did not care for women or other animals in the least! Cletus and Sadie sound like an awesome duo…teamwork!

3. I love the way Cletus shares his stolen goods with Sadie. What a wonderful partnership!

4. I kid you not: just returned from rescuing my strawberry yogurt smoothie from Keira, the cat who came for dinner. And stayed all winter.

Delightful post and left me grinning ear-to-ear. Thanks. 😀

5. JunkChuck says:

My wife and kids love this commercial–I don’t mind it myself, but mostly for the coolness of hearing ol’ Roger Miller on the talking picture box.

my husband calls it snuffling, and it’s not allowed around him…he resents the implication that he drops crumbs. I like to see animals cooperate to get stuff done…lol…

If Cletus the kitten starts barking, be afraid. Be very afraid. Or, on the other hand, be on the cusp of a veterinary miracle!

I had a cat that liked to hide in the dishwasher. The same cat used to walk on the tub between the shower curtains when I took a shower. Absolutely loved water. But never one that acted as doggish as Cletus.

That’s so funny. We’ve had cats who have spilled stuff and stolen stuff but never for the dog. I guess they have a deal. I havd to say that the image of the sour cream hitting the floor is painful.

10. Veronica says:

What a friendship! That’s incredible. Our late cat loved to play fetch like a dog and also carried around his stuffed animal in his mouth from room to room. We don’t have any dogs and he was strictly an indoor cat so not sure where his doggish behavior came from.

11. Deborah says:

That’s a great story! Our little rescue dog is quite cat-like. When she was living at the restaurant, waiting to be adopted, she had feline friends. Now she only rarely makes a single bark noise. (which when you consider she’s a chihuahua, is particularly weird). She likes to sit on laps. She only eats her kibble. Won’t touch anything else. Interestingly, I am not usually a dog person, but I made an exception for her, and having her is just like having a cat around. 🙂

What characters! You couldn’t make this up 💐🌷