Young Love — Y

My dog, Sadie, barks at all kindsa things.
She’s a sweetheart, she really is.

sadie1
But when she barks, she doesn’t sound like a sweetheart. No, she sounds like a vicious beast.
Visitors beware.

When I get to the door, I tell her to back up and sit and stay, so she does. I always tell the visitor she’s harmless, because once I let them in, she is harmless.
Sometimes people remain edgy, not convinced, and I have to crate her. Most of the time, people say something like, “I’ve got a dog like that, too. Good watchdog,” and they rub her head.

Sadie is a great watchdog.

Last summer, she barked at our open bedroom window in the middle of the night, so I got up to see what the fuss was about. There was our neighbor’s outdoor cat, right under the window. Sadie couldn’t see him, but she could smell him.
TomCat is a frequent cause for her barking. I’m sure she’s jealous that TomCat can go anywhere and he doesn’t even have a leash. She probably wonders why he’s always pouncing bugs in the grass instead of shaking squirrels to death. What a waste of freedom, huh?
We tell her, “That is not your kitty,” and she makes that precious sighing noise that dogs make when they’ve given up.

I’m amazed by what she can smell and hear. For instance, she knows The Mister and our girls are coming when I can’t even see them yet.

She hates the mail carrier, which I suppose is required of all dogs. It doesn’t help that our mail carriers are always on rotation. No matter how excited I am to see the mail carriers or how I tell Sadie we loooove mail, she hates them still.

You’d think the pizza man would be loved, because meat and cheese, but he’s not.

Sadie has certain people she adores. My FIL fersure.
Moo’s little friend Lily is always a hit.
My nephews, too. She’s pretty excited when Auntie Drew comes to the door, but when the boys are with her, the excitement is INSANE!
Whining and hopping at the door…
She redirects herself to her bone and then offers up her tummy.

If only I could teach her to stop licking MIL’s toes…Poor Mamaw.

She hates motorcycles. I suppose they’re like growling mystery machines to her. Probably not unlike the helicopters on post. She’d grab up her bones and run to the house in a frenzy, before those evil birds could get them. Same with the vacuum…

She’s come to know all the sights and sounds of neighbors, their kids and pets. Sometimes she gets riled up about a stray animal, but the one thing we cannot understand?

She hates young love.
I’m not sure if she finds the match unsuitable, or if one of them smells like the death of a thousand dogs, but she absolutely cannot tolerate the sight of teenagers strolling hand in hand.
Our reaction? “Oh yes, young love, how terrifying!”

Does your dog have quirky barking tendencies? Are you afraid of young love?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Young Love — Y

Um, we are pretty sure that our dog, Butthead, barks at the voices in her head. Last night she started growling and barking from her bed in our bedroom…at nothing. But otherwise, she barks at everyone passing by our house. And everydog. And everydeer. And everybird. Andeverybladeofgrass.
    We were lucky because up until her adoption, we had dogs that didn’t really bark. My parents had a yellow lab that didn’t bark AT ALL for the first three years they had her. We were convinced she’d been de-barked in her previous home (my parents adopted her at 3yo). One day we were outside and she was inside and I guess she got pissed so she barked. Scared the shit out of all of us.
    But no, Butthead barks every day of her life. Often and with gusto. Sometimes she can get Le Moo to bark with her, but Le Moo only barks when it’s is required for her to announced her ruling of the land.
    Previous dog barked at men in hats. Men she knew, men she didn’t know…if they were wearing hats, she was barkin’ at them.
    Also, Sadie is TOTES ADORBS.

2. Our little dog Roxy also barks when she smells a cat. There are a few of them around here which drive her mad. She wouldn’t know what to do with them if she caught them anyway though! She does love the postman or anyone else that calls for that matter! Bit of a rubbish guard dog really! 🙂

How funny about the teens holding hands. I bet Sadie will be the Designated Date Chaperone when your kids are ‘of-age’, huh?

4. markbialczak says:

Sadie is a beaut, Joey. I could take a photo of Ellie B aka Dogamous Pyle this very second in the same pose on the couch right across from me. She barks in the same patterns as Sadie, too, save the young love. She really does not like other dogs being walked on our street. Wow. She goes off, loudly, at the front window. But her tail is wagging all the while. I wonder what the message is?

I wish we could have a dog, but we can’t thanks to hubs allergies. We tried for eight days, and hubby ended up on an inhaler. Had to give the doggie back, which did not go over well with our poor kids who were maybe 7 and 10 at the time. My youngest still puts his framed, 8X11 photo of Abby (the dog’s name) on my husband’s pillow sometimes just to torment him.

Sounds like you have a great one in Sadie!

• Oh bummer. That’s a mean kid you got there! LOL I hope he gets to have a dog of his own one day 😀
      We’re all allergic to one or more of our cats, but not to the point of inhalers! More like, “DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EYE!” Ahhh!

Our dog Maddie channels the bark of a much larger dog. She doesn’t like anyone, young, old, in love or not, walking on her street. She seems to be OK with the mailman, is OK with the paperguy, but not walkers. She tries to sneak up on birds and squirrels in our yard, and when she’s getting too close and we clap out hands, she gives us the WTF look. Like she won’t eat cause that Robin got away.

7. Nortina S. says:

One night, my mom was sitting under the dryer (the portable at home dryer that looks like a hot air balloon you put on your head) when my little puppy Rocky trotted into the room and went ballistic. I mean, it was all out war. Barking nonstop. Either he thought she was some swollen-head alien, or he thought the dryer was some some fat, round creature sucking on her brain!

My dog in high school was a racist. No kidding. He did not like anyone lighter or darker than his shade of golden-brown. He also had beef with the retriever down the street. Every time its owner drove by our house, the dog would stick its head out the backseat window and bark at my dog, and my dog would run to the edge of the yard and bark back. Drive-by and retaliation? Seriously, those dogs were thugs. Lol

• Hah! Well I can only imagine a doggy reaction to hair dryer head, considering how my cats act when I wear a wrap on mine!
      Dog thugs, lol — I swear my dog was racist when I took her in. She got over it quickly, tho 😉
      Thanks for commenting!

8. Nagzilla says:

We recently lost our dog to cancer, but she was an Australian shepherd/doberman mix, and she got the doberman voice. Which means she sounded fierce even when she was just trying to say, “hey! hey! I like you! I want to play with you! Come pet me!”

As far as a watchdog, she was great at letting us know when there were rabbits on the patio at three in the morning. The guy who broke into my car to steal my radio? Not a peep. *sigh*

9. Oh your dog sounds like a great guard dog indeed. Poppy, our 1 year old puppy doesn’t bark much, but if someone comes into the flat, whether she knows them or not, she brings them her favourite toy (that’s so cute, she always has a present for guests) and makes a fuss, and jumps around – it’s very funny but also very ineffective as far as guarding. Luckily we don’t really need a guard dog so we’re quite happy with how sociable she is 🙂

Haha love this! That photo is adorbs! ❤

11. It’s a sweet tribute to your dog, Joey. I don’t have a dog anymore. Our died a few years ago and since we liked to travel more now that the kids are all in college, we didn’t adopt another one. But I recognize lots of common traits of character between your Sadie and my Pepper. She was a very affectionate dogs with people she liked. Her sense of smell was outstanding, too. She would warn me of any little thing coming from outdoor. She was afraid of big storms and got agitated way before they happened. So we always knew ahead of anyone…who didn’t have a dog!
    Lovely post.

• I love this comment, because when I read it, I thought, “Oh how nice, you’re where I’ll be” in that your kids aren’t living there full-time and you’re able to travel. I won’t have a dog when that time comes, either. I’ll miss her, but I’ll enjoy the change.

12. lbeth1950 says:

My dog Buzzy thinks the pizza guy comes to GET our pizza. This is a BIG problem.

13. April says:

Our dog is old, but still barks, which I wish she didn’t. She’s intimidating enough…she doesn’t need to bark. It’s good to have a guard dog and a watch dog. Sadie kind of looks like my son’s dog.