I Won NaNoWriMo!

It’s true, I just wrapped up 50,003 words. It’s not an entire novel. It would be, if you didn’t mind reading things out of order and your imagination could fill in the blank spaces…but for now, it’s a start.

NaNo-badge1

I love this work more than any I’ve ever done, and so I’m excited about it, like tremendously excited with three exclamation marks!!!

Here are some things I learned during NaNo 2014:

1. While you’re writing fifty-thousand word fiction on a deadline, each day you think of ten blog posts you’d rather write. I will be blogg-y next month. I could easily do EvDaDaDec.

2. How anyone wrote realistic fiction before Google is beyond me.

3. The thesaurus is still my friend.

4. I do not always have twenty minutes to do dishes, but I always have twenty minutes to do The Mister.

5. I wouldn’t need to sell a single book if I had a dollar for every person who’s said they want to read my book.

6. “I can’t wait to read it!” is just like “We should get together!” Few people mean it.

7. There are surprisingly few writing-friendly foods on the market. Popcorn is alright, as are nuts and pretzels, apples, bananas, cookies, chocolate covered raisins, olives…Most food requires both hands, and there seem to be no foods that do not require me licking my fingers. I have since decided that finger food doesn’t refer to food you can eat with your hands, but more, food you will lick from your hands. (Smacking noises optional.) This reminds me of how my filthy laptop is good for my immune system.

8. Writers have crazy hair because hair washing isn’t crucial to good writing. Since my hair was its own entity most of the month, this must surely mean my work is phenomenal.

9. I don’t like the caffeine, the caffeine likes me. Did you hear that noise? *twitch* I stuck mostly to my decaf regimen, but SOMETIMES I HAD TO WRITE A LOT  and *bites cuticles frantically* I did not spend the hour at church praying no one had broken in and stolen my laptop! I WAS ON A DEADLINE so, Is my heart beating in my elbow? Do you think it’s a tumor? What do you mean this Coke is bad for my anxiety disorder? Why don’t you love me right? I NEEDED THE CAFFEINE!

10. Having an assortment of readers is crucial, because we truly do bring our own experiences on our fiction-reading journeys.

Did you NaNo? What did you do with your November?

This entry was posted in Personally and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to I Won NaNoWriMo!

Congratulations, Joey! It’s a wonderful feeling, isn’t it? 😀
    I do REALLY want to read your novel. And I’m almost ready for beta readers… interested in reading mine? I mean, like, seriously? 😉 No, really.

2. Lol huge congrats for making it through and your pointers 🙂

Congrats on finishing! Very impressive. I didn’t do NaNo. In fact, I didn’t do much writing at all. So much travel for me this month and too much going on. Maybe next month…

4. I did not NaNo but I did miss you. And I must confess to falling off my chair after reading number 4.

Welcome back. Now, go bathe.

5. Congratulations. I skipped almost the entire month as far as new fiction went. Other projects called me away. It doesn’t bother me, I’ll get back to it in a week or so. Right now I want coffee, and Thanksgiving leftovers; the ultimate finger food.

6. hollie says:

Congratulations! I really do want to read your book, I rarely say things I don’t mean, it’s just not my style 🙂 So proud of you!

Congratulations! I’d be impressed even if you didn’t have kids, cats and the mister. So, consider me seriously impressed.

8. Kay Kendall says:

Congratulations, Joey! That’s a stunning accomplishment, finishing NaNoWriMo. I could never do it…I write too slowly. Keep at it!

I don’t wanna read it…There…is that sincere? hahaha…keep truckin’ and I’ll keep truckin’ and hope we never meet in an intersection. Food overload…Geesh, is there another holiday coming?

Hey hey hey, Joey!!! CONGRATULATIONS 👏👍😘

Sally Fields and I really, really want to read your book. Couldn’t you combine doing The Mister with the finger licking, and carve a few more minutes out of your busy distractions for more writing time?

11. So glad to hear that you wrote your 50k words AND you’re happy with your draft, too. Congrads to you.

12. “There are surprisingly few writing-friendly foods on the market.” — That’s why you need to have the Stud House Boy feeding you grapes and fanning you to keep down the heat your fingers make typing! I did NaNoWriMo last year and loved the exercise of turning off your inner editor. It’s a fantastic method for coming up with a 1st draft. Congrats on finishing!

13. JunkChuck says:

What a coincidence–I won NaNoWriMo last year! I guess I’ll see you when I hand over my tiara to you. I have to admit, I haven’t worn the tiara much. The guys make their jokes, you know? But still, welcome to the rarefied air only winners can taste. And, oh yeah, i can’t wait to read your book.

14. Awesome…congrats! I loved all of the things you learned during NaNo. When I’ve had some all-day writing bingers, my hair’s greasy, I’m wearing the same crusty pajamas all day, and I have chocolate on my face. I wonder why my cats look at me like I’m crazy.

15. Beret Olsen says:

Whoa. Very impressed! Congratulations!

16. Congratulations to my favorite writer on achieving success and beating the deadline! Take twenty minutes to do the dishes and THEN take the night to do the mister, you deserve it!

17. Pingback: Togetherness, Ferrealiously* | joeyfullystated

18. Susan says:

Perusing your posts and excited to see this one – Congratulations! ( Appreciate the visit also )